- 2 Ripe tomatoes
- 1 Ball of good quality mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Fresh Basil
- Ground Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
You can really have a lot of fun with this simple combination of colorful flavors. Use fresh ingredients and keep it simple, allowing the aroma and taste of each food to blend and satisfy your taste buds.
- Wash and slice tomatoes with a serrated knife
- Cut off thin sections of top and bottom (so you have a flat bottom, then slice the rest of the tomato into thick slices. I prefer thick slices because it adds some “heft” to the dish.
- Layer: Tomato, cheese, basil
- Hold together with a couple of toothpicks
- You can cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve
- To serve, drizzle with olive oil and top with freshly ground pepper
As you can see, the presentation is wonderful. You can serve this as a salad before the main course, or as the main course for a light lunch or dinner. Add a glass a red wine and you’re golden!