- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp Flour
- 2 envelopes Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ cup Water, lukewarm
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 slice Provolone Cheese
- 3-4 Italian Sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Small Onion, cut into strips
- Olive oil
This recipe dates back to Robin Hood and the Sherwood Forest! Create a ring of cheese bread and wow your family and frieds with your culinary skills (it’s easier than it looks…)
Step 1: Prepare the sponge
- Dissolve yeast in warm water per package directions.
- Place 1 cup flour in a medium bowl. Make a well in the middle. Pour the yeast mixture in well, add the salt, and gradually mix the flour to get a spongy batter.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. Flour over top, cover bowl with a clean towel, and let rest in warm place 1 hour.
Step 2: Prepare the Dough
- Pour melted butter into electric mixer with paddle attachment. Mix in eggs, one at a time then the sponge.
- Add remaining flour and milk, alternating until combined. Mix until dough is smooth and shiny.
- Cover and let rest 1 hour
- Next, add cheeses, S&P and mix with a spoon
- Prepare 4-qt ring mold with non-stick spray. Pour batter into mold.
- Bake bread in 375°F oven for 25 minutes, until golden and spongy. Remove, let rest 15 minutes before removing bread from mold.
CAUTION: Allow for 2 hours “resting” time
I was a little suspicious of this bread recipe…it seemed sort of fussy to me. But…I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor is delicious and I love the dense texture.
The dough will have a taffy-like consistency, resembling a batter more than a dough.
As delicious as this is, you may not have time or patience to create this beautiful bread. As an alternative, choose a good quality sandwich roll and serve the peppers in the rolls…simple!
Step 3: Cook Peppers & Sausage
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat
- Add peppers and onion and saute for 5 minutes
- Add sausage. Continue to cook until no longer pink inside.
- Place cheese bread a platter and spoon sausage and peppers in the middle and around the sides.
Did you know?…This recipe is part of the Food4Life Internationally Inspired Meal Plan. Do you have yours?