- 1 lb. cooked Chicken, shredded (divide into 3 equal parts)
- 1-15oz cans Black Beans-divided use (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/3 cup olives, sliced in half
- 2 lg cans Green Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 15-20 Corn Tortillas
- Sliced Avocado
- Sour Cream
Making 2 casseroles is just as easy as making one, so why not double the recipe, enjoy one now, and freeze the other for later? Prepare as follows, wrap well, and freeze before cooking.
- This is easiest when you have all ingredients prepped (chopped, cooked, shredded) and within arms-reach when you assemble the casseroles.
- To cook the chicken you can simply boil it until done (not pink inside), bake in the oven, or cook on the grill.
- Once chicken is cooked, set it aside to cool so you don’t burn your hands while shredding. If it’s still too hot once you are ready for this step, run the chicken under cold water.
Cook’s Note: To grill chicken, first soak it in a bowl of salted/sugar water. This helps keep it moist. Dissolve 1-2 Tbsp sea salt and a bit of sugar in the water. Add chicken and enough water to cover the chicken. Place in fridge for at least 1 hour. When ready to grill, remove chicken from salted water and rinse under cool water. Rub with spices of your choice and a little bit of olive oil. Let set for 15 minutes. Heat grill to a low temperature – you want to cook the chicken “low and slow” to retain moisture and juices. Place chicken on grill, cover, and grill 7 minutes per side until no longer pink inside.
Step 1: Assemble the Casseroles
Layer the ingredients in a medium casserole dish (13”x9”) in the following order (Note, you should be able to get 3 layers)
3 Tbsp. of Enchilada Sauce on the very bottom to help prevent sticking, then
- 5-6 Corn Tortillas (to cover the bottom – you can break one in half to accommodate covering the surface
- 1 part Shredded Chicken
- Chopped Onions
- Chopped Red Bell Pepper
- Black Beans
- 1 part of Shredded Cheese
- Black Olives
- Drizzle about 1 cup of the Enchilada Sauce
Repeat this order 2 more times for a total of 3 layers.
Step 2: Bake Casserole
- Preheat oven 350° F.
- Bake, covered for about 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly (each oven is a little different)
- Uncover the casserole and bake for an additional 10 minutes so cheese on top melts and browns
- Tip: Add a layer of foil in the oven below your casserole dish to catch any spills
Step 3: Serve it Up!
- Serve topped with sliced avocado, salsa and sour cream
- Consider adding a small side salad!