- 2 Eggplants, about the size of a small football – sliced into ½ inch thick (you don’t have to peel unless you want to)
- 1-2 cups Flour
- 1-2 cup Milk
- 2-4 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 4 cups Canola or Sunflower oil
- 2-3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce
- Working one slice at a time, dip eggplant in flour, dip in milk, then roll in Panko mix. Place the breaded eggplant on waxed paper. Continue until all are breaded
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or wok.
- Working with 2-3 eggplant at a time, carefully slide them into the hot oil. Allow to cook to a golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Use a slotted spoon to lift from hot oil and place on the paper towel to drain.
- Continue until all eggplant are cooked.
- In a 13” x 9” casserole dish, layer the eggplant, cheese and sauce. You should get 3-4 layers, depending on the size of your dish. Start with ¼ cup of the sauce, spread on the bottom. Add a layer of eggplant, sprinkle with cheese, then sauce. Repeat.
- Bake in 350°F oven until heated through and cheese is melted, 30-45 minutes.
Set up the assembly line to bread the eggplant:
- 1 plate with flour
- 1 bowl with milk
- 1 plate with parmesan cheese / bread crumb mixture
- Line the counter with waxed paper to hold uncooked, breaded eggplant
- Line a cookie sheet with several layers of paper towel, for cooked eggplant
NOTE: Using hot oil (350° – 375°) reduces how much grease that’s absorbed into the food. Use caution when cooking with hot oil. Turn the pan handle away from you and stand back so you are not in the “line of fire” for grease splatters.