For marinade, combine:
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1 Baquette, whole wheat
- 1/4 cup Pesto, Basil – prepared
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 4 slices Provolone Cheese
- 1/4 cup Roasted Red Peppers (from the jar)
- 1 cup Greens (like red lettuce, arugula or similar lettuce)
How to Butterfly a Chicken Breast
- Marinade the Chicken for at least 30 minutes. I “butterfly” the chicken breasts so they are thin. Do this by using a sharp knife to carefully slice each breast in two pieces (top and bottom) so it opens like a book. This allows the chicken to cook faster and also makes it easier to keep the sandwich together.
- Place the chicken in a zippy type bag, add marinade and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bag and reserve marinade.
- Heat your grill on high. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side (internal temperature to reach 165°F (74°C).
- Remove chicken from grill and set aside. Cut into slices so the chicken is the same width as your bread.
- Cut baguette, so you have a top and a bottom.
- Spread the pesto on each side of the baguette.
- Layer the bottom of the baguette with: chicken, tomato, provolone, roasted red peppers, greens.
- Place top of baguette on top of the sandwich. Secure with toothpicks.
- Brush the outside of the bread, top and bottom, with the reserved marinade (don’t worry, you are putting this on the grill so it will be heated)
- Place on grill, reduce heat to medium and grill for 2-3 minutes per side so you get nice looking grill marks on the bread.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- You can either cut into 1-inch slices or into 4 equal-sized sandwiches
*I cut the baguette in half, adding the layers, and after grilling cut into 1-inch slices for great “finger-sized” food.
Make you own pesto:
- ¼ cup Pinenuts
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup Basil leaves, fresh, leaves only
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Olive oil
- In food processor, add garlic, just a touch of sea salt, and pulse into a paste. Add pinenuts and basil and half of parmesan. Pulse to combine.
- Pour into a bowl
- Add remaining parmesan and drizzle in olive oil, stirring gently. You only need enough oil to loosen the pesto and bring it to a perfect pesto consistency