- 1 lb Ground Beef (lowest fat)
- 1/3 cup Carrots, shredded
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp Basil, dried, crushed
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Worsteshire Sauce
- ½ tsp each- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup (or 1 Tbsp tomato paste mixed with 1 Tbsp water)
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- 1 head Garlic, roasted
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp Ricotta Cheese
- Milk or Chicken Broth (as needed)
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Butter
Rather than using russet potatoes on the side, I tried out mashed cauliflower, which many people give high reviews. It was good, but to me is really tasted like pureed cauliflower because, basically, that’s what it is!.
I decided to make it great by adding in some of the starchiness and texture that we’ve come to love with traditional mashed potatoes by adding in a sweet potato.
Mashed Cauliflower Directions
Cook’s Note: You can steam the cauliflower rather than roast it; however, I would avoid boiling it because it adds water to the vegetable and will change the consistency of the final dish. To save time…uou can cook the cauliflower and garlic in the oven at the same time the meatloaf is baking.
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut the Cauliflower and Sweet Potato into chunks (small enough for your blender to handle them). You don’t have to peel the potato – just wash it thoroughly. Mix the vegetables with the Olive Oil and place on a cookie sheet that has been covered in foil.
- Cut the top off the head of Garlic. Brush the cut side with Olive Oil and place on the same cookie sheet. Place in the oven and bake the Cauliflower, Potato, and Garlic until the vegetables are soft (about 30-40 minutes)
- Working in batches, place the cooked vegetables, garlic, and cheeses in a blender and blend until smooth. If needed, add a little bit of liquid as you blend. Place all mashed items in a bowl and add Salt, Pepper, and Butter to taste.
Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Mix all meatloaf ingredients in a bowl, except for the toppings. Form the loaf (sort of like a football) and place in a casserole dish.
- Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl. Spread this over the top of you meatloaf. Cover and bake in 350° oven F for about one hour. Note: take the foil off for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking to get that nice color on top.
How Do You Like Your Mashed Potatoes?
If you prefer a heartier texture, you can mash all ingredients in a bowl using a masher rather than a blender. I like to do half and half – half in the blender, half by hand with a masher. If you do use the blender, be sure to place a towel over the lid since you are working with hot items.