Say “Yes” to These:
- Light snacks – nut mix, cheese & crackers, fruits that are low in carbs and high in protein
- Yogurt – good for your gut
- Oranges – Vitamin C
- Low sodium snacks – salt is bloating
- Green / Herbal tea
- Water with lemon
- Smoothies – full of fruit – add a protein like milk or yogurt for added benefits
- Gum – bad breath fighter and can relieve pressure on ears at take-off and landing. Choose a brand that is NOT sugar free (see below).
Avoid these foods before/during flight because many are harder to digest when you fly, or could slow you down:
- Fried/fast food
- Alcohol – it’s refreshing, but dehydrating…be sure you drink plenty of water
- Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli & cauliflower) can increase that bloated feeling
- Carbonated beverages – bloating
- Sugar free gum and candy – may cause bloating, gas, or have a laxative effect
- Beans – gas. If you must, soak the beans overnight before eating to eliminate some of the problems.
- Garlic – I love garlic. However, it and some other spices can actually absorb into your bloodstream so you literally “sweat it out” So even if you brushed after eating, you may still carry the scent around for hours.